You think I’d be used to massive lapses in time since posts, but I still can’t believe it’s been almost 3 months since the start of my “alien campaign” for Fickle RPG, as well as the last release. That campaign has concluded now, and was a fun time, although a bit hard to organize with drop-in players. I think I’m going to try a few one-shots (or maybe two-shots) in a wider variety of genres for the next bit, once my friends have recovered from “planning burnout” trying to organize games.
Anyway even though the game is pretty light on mechanics (in a good way), I’ve been wracking my brain on a few key ideas, as my posts since then will show. I’ve been thinking primarily about player elimination via the Defeated mechanic, how the give and take of Stamina works in general, and a potential new decision point (“Luck Dice”) during resolution to really take the core mechanic to the next level.
A lot of that hasn’t been decided and needs further playtesting. Eagerly waiting for a time when I can wrangle enough players to do that. But in the mean time I do have a few minor “for sure” changes that I made to Fickle RPG, and therefore want to release v0.5 today:
Download the latest Fickle RPG (v0.5) PDF
- Created a huge Game Session Example section showing two players working through a medieval fantasy encounter. Nice formatting with speaker icons too.
- Now when creating a character you must choose a -1 Skill weakness. These are meant to be flavorful and interesting narrative elements as compared to crippling crutches. The example I give in the rules is “-1 Amputated Hand is interesting when desperately trying to hold a rope lifeline to an ally, but becomes tedious and regrettable if used every time the character opens a door.”
- Added some Attribute allocation examples, basically preset “arrays” of numbers like 6/5/4/3/3/3.
- Added a nice looking full page title page
- Reworked the Creating a Character section to be a bit more verbose, and formatted similarly to Resolution.
- A pile of new Storyteller tips and clean up of examples
- Formatting consistency, reworked headers a bit, general polish
Honestly after the items below are hashed out and finalized I think I’ll move Fickle RPG to v1.0. Maybe get some art or pictures to break up the text a bit in the rulebook. Considering antique/old style black & white line art for that. Maybe a real world picture of a game in session too or something.
Because of how differently each individual player allocates pools I can’t just playtest these concepts myself. But the biggest concepts are “Flex” dice (really good single dice in the pool) and what to do when Defeated (staged effects with damage spillover).
So yeah, the list:
- Add Flex Dice (or Fluke/Fortune/Fate/Luck…name undecideded). Basically a refined idea of “Karma dice” from before. Everyone gets a small/different colored 1D6 “Flex” dice that can be allocated to Fickle at -1 difficulty or Flat at +1 success (2 total) for just that dice.
As part of this I’d reduce all attributes and pool sizes by 1 to better facilitate “pick up X dice, throw in Flex dice”.
- Stamina should be Attr+Attr, which works out to the same due to smaller initial attribute (nice side benefit)
- Post-fight Stamina restores to HALF (rounded up) instead of 1. For everyone, not just those reduced to <=0
- If Category Stamina is 0 and new damage comes in it “spills over” to another Category (defenders choice, represents how their character deals with it)
- Broken: 1st Category reduced to 0: Cannot React, lose Flex
- Wounded: 2nd Category reduced to 0: temporary removes 1 positive Skill from related Category, or if no skills adds a new temporary -1 for rest of session
- Defeated: 3rd Category reduced to 0: eliminates the player for the rest of the scene. Opponents use this always for first Category to 0