I’m quite experienced with LibreOffice and other similar spreadsheet programs (like it’s predecessor Open Office…never really got into Excel since I do most of my game design on Linux). And I knew as soon as I added the concept of cards to Glowquest that I did not in a million years want to manually design, copy-and-paste, and update and maintain them as a spreadsheet. So I went looking for card programs. One of the most recommended, albeit complex, is Nandeck. Yes the website and UI are from the 1990s, but it’s a solo Italian dude developing the whole thing and with that limitation in mind he’s really achieved some good stuff.
Nandeck uses a declarative language, kind of like HTML or programming, to lay out your cards and dump some data into them. You can pull from Comma Separated Value (CSV) files which is terrific as I can maintain a “deck” of cards there, and have it populate any layout changes I make on the fly. The learning curve was steep because the tool is so powerful and has so many commands/options (see the PDF manual for more), but the time invested was worth it. Also I have wanted an excuse for a while to try to figure out a way to make good cards.
Anyway I’ll post the results tomorrow, and I’d love to post the various CSV files for each deck but WordPress is stingy about that kind of thing. Unfortunately the same thing goes for the .NDE files used with Nandeck. When everything is all solidified I’ll eventually post the finished scripts directly in a blog entry.
Originally my plan was to go to my local Digital Post print shop and get the PDFs dumped in color onto some thin cardstock, but when I get the game to a REALLY stable point I might just use The Game Crafter and order a few decks of cards that way. For now though I’m still printing on plain, thin paper and cutting them up by hand (thanks Fiskars!)