My remaining big chunk of work is around the Monsters. Previously I had done simple sheets, but that was a bit complex and tedious to track especially once a lot of monsters were involved. I think I came up with a good compromise with Monster Cards that you then put onto a Monster Sheet for tracking which mini is which monster and their current Reflect/Shield/Armor and HP. That sheet also has some dice tables for how to decide which monster acts. Lots of solo playtesting to do around this (hopefully tonight and tomorrow) before my actual playtest with friends this weekend.
The cards themselves are through Nandeck again, and although they may look busy they aren’t too bad once you cut them out and try to use them.
Here’s a preview of how the cards look and a PDF of the cards themselves:
Here’s a look at the monster sheet and a PDF of the full monster sheet:
With all of this I reworked how monsters are managed. Now instead of EVERY player taking a Monster Turn after their own turn, just one player PER ENCOUNTER does so, and they are given the title of Overlord. This has a ton of benefits such as the other two players not getting brain drained trying to swap the monsters around, more consistent monster behaviour (because it’s all from one player), a bit of variety depending on how each player chooses to build and setup their monsters, etc. I know this might kind of sound like a DM, but it really isn’t because the role rotates every encounter, and the player is still primarily managing their hero. Anyway again something to try out in the upcoming playtest (can you tell I’m excited about it?)
I’m quite experienced with LibreOffice and other similar spreadsheet programs (like it’s predecessor Open Office…never really got into Excel since I do most of my game design on Linux). And I knew as soon as I added the concept of cards to Glowquest that I did not in a million years want to manually design, copy-and-paste, and update and maintain them as a spreadsheet. So I went looking for card programs. One of the most recommended, albeit complex, is Nandeck. Yes the website and UI are from the 1990s, but it’s a solo Italian dude developing the whole thing and with that limitation in mind he’s really achieved some good stuff.
Nandeck uses a declarative language, kind of like HTML or programming, to lay out your cards and dump some data into them. You can pull from Comma Separated Value (CSV) files which is terrific as I can maintain a “deck” of cards there, and have it populate any layout changes I make on the fly. The learning curve was steep because the tool is so powerful and has so many commands/options (see the PDF manual for more), but the time invested was worth it. Also I have wanted an excuse for a while to try to figure out a way to make good cards.
Anyway I’ll post the results tomorrow, and I’d love to post the various CSV files for each deck but WordPress is stingy about that kind of thing. Unfortunately the same thing goes for the .NDE files used with Nandeck. When everything is all solidified I’ll eventually post the finished scripts directly in a blog entry.
Originally my plan was to go to my local Digital Post print shop and get the PDFs dumped in color onto some thin cardstock, but when I get the game to a REALLY stable point I might just use The Game Crafter and order a few decks of cards that way. For now though I’m still printing on plain, thin paper and cutting them up by hand (thanks Fiskars!)